Today’s world is changing at an alarming rate. Being in 21 st Century, we find ourselves not able to cope with the ever changing trend since everything changes, every second. The average human life is relatively short and the truth is that you need to make the best in your life period, by improving yourself through recognising the importance of personal development.
Personal development caters to better oneself with the necessary activities, skills and talents in a way to enhance one’s life. According to Thich Nhat Hanh ‘s book here, peace and happiness are available in every moment and is only possible when it is immersed in the present moment. There are various life hacks which include social means like Reddit and courses like Udemy which forms a significant part of today’s personal development.
Importance of Personal Development:
For you to develop personally, you need to figure out what you want to be successful at. Some people have a magic touch and attract amazing opportunities, other struggles with their goals while others do not have specific goals.
Personal development takes into account self-awareness and identity to reach high potential. This is done through developing human talent, skills and employing relevant resources which contribute toward a realisation of dreams and aspirations. The importance of personal development cannot be ignored since the digital world requires us to stay trendy. This means being equipped with a new set of the plans to stay relevant and survive in the large economy where careers, businesses, investment and technology as the main focus are increasingly evolving.
Challenges in Achieving Personal Development:
Developing yourself means you are realising the need of a change which eventually transforms your life. This changes sometimes don’t come easily and you will face challenges along the way.Fears, self-doubts and worries are some of the common inward hurdles you feel down the chills while mapping your plans for personal growth. Stress, anxiety, frustration and procrastination brings the bigger pictures of the challenges that one is exposed to while trying to reach your aspirations.
Dealing with Personal Development Challenges:
Success is largely a process that begins and ends in your mind. It is not about what you do but how you do it. We need to apply and act on a concept to free ourselves from self-doubt, fears and worries and as Marcus Aurelius has poignantly stated “Ambition is trying your well-being to the outcome. Sanity means trying it to your actions”. To do this we need to understand that mind, as a faculty of consciousness and thought, is so powerful that it can dictate the self-growth in diverse dimension. Therefore we need to find peace with our minds so as to deal with the challenges that deter us from achieving self-development.
Practising Personal Development:
Acting in ways that remove you from anxiety provoking situation is essential. However engaging in practices that make you free from the fear you face, instead of facing the reality, makes us feel more stress and anxious. It follows that life will never transform until the fear of the truth that you only have ceased and you start blending into the new ways of life.
The various ways of achieving personal development includes;
- Practising mindfulness – the ability to work with present state, good or bad- and make you do everything in your power to accept what it is. Jon Kabat Zinn’s book clearly explains the power of mindfulness that ” whatever you are thinking right now that’s what’s on your mind.
- Practising the greatest gift of self-awareness. Learning to recognise your subconscious mind is very important in that self-sabotage and fears are easily noted. By honest introspection, you are able to understand yourself better, pay attention and overcome fear.
- Having focus and will power. These are important attributes that are needed to change habits we have. Avoiding underlying fear or resistances requires acquiring new behaviours which increase consciousness and needs to be exercised regularly so that they become a second nature.
- Persistence. Making the choice to succeed every moment needs a great deal of perseverance. Success is a constant, ongoing series of choices you continue to make despite the difficulties you are faced with. As Samuel Johnson stated ” Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.
Tips to Self Development:
- Daily Mantra/ Meditation- Love yourself as your life depends on it and embracing the fall apart and bouncing back as suggested by Kamal Ravinkat.
- Focusing on things you can control and leave the one which is beyond intervention.
- Exercising your mind, body and soul in meditating, exercising, eating healthy foods, ample sleep and enjoying nature.
- Embracing social relationship of friends and leaning on them for support.
- Serving others in your capacity and feeling ‘special’ for your contribution.
It is worth noting that personal development places a key role in all areas of growth in life. Practising self-awareness goes to a great height of achieving success in career, investment, business, technology and personal goal.
I hope you enjoyed the reading and if you have question, opinion or comment, please feel free to post and I will get back to you.